Monday, November 5, 2012

Athlete of the Month

When I first joined my Box I had no idea how out of shape I was.  As I became more and more obsessed (in case you've missed that up to this point), I had one goal in mind:  I wanted to be the Athlete of the Month.  The thought of the coaches noticing my effort and improvement really appealed to me.  Receiving the email from them telling me that I had been selected put a smile on my face for a week.  Maybe they just randomly drew a person's name out of a hat, but I'm going to go with my first thought:)

Here's the little blip that was posted up in the Newsletter.  Super flattering photos I know.

ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
CHRIS CHAPMAN


I blame my sister.  She wouldn’t stop talking about her CrossFit box up north.  “CrossFit this, WOD that, kettle bells, blah, blah, blah.”  After two years of boxing three days a week and running pretty regularly, I was bored and needed a change.  I read about CrossFit714 in my city magazine, The Villa Park Jewel.  This family (the Darmstadts) raved about the place and the mom looked incredible.  I told my husband that I wanted to look like her.  I started in mid-July and am officially obsessed.  Cross Fit (and Paleo) is all that I talk about now. 

signed up for six months the first day I came in.  I figured that if I paid for my membership up front, I couldn’t quit.  After about two weeks, I started to regret that decision.  I was completely overwhelmed with the terminology and moves.  The women (and men) were ridiculously strong and quick.  I thought I was in shape before I stared.  Man was I wrong.  Luckily, towards the end of the first month, it all started to click.  I started to push myself to try harder.  I realized that Cross Fit is a combination of being not only physically strong, but mentally strong as well.  I’m still struggling with double-unders, mastering the clean, and that elusive pull-up… but knowing my weaknesses makes me want to keep pushing.


Thank you CrossFit 714 for selecting me to be the Athlete of the Month.  It is humbling to have the word “Athlete” associated with my name.  I look forward to checking the blog every night to see what’s in store for me the next day.  I enjoy the challenges, sweat, and dirt that the amazing trainers put me through weekly.  The camaraderie and family atmosphere gives me that extra boost to succeed and keep pushing.  It’s nice to belong to a gym where everyone knows your name (cue the Cheers theme song) and truly enjoys what they do.  

I can’t wait to see what my body (and mind) can accomplish these next few years (I’ve already planned to continue my membership).  The definition and transformation of my body I can already see in these short months is the best motivation money can buy!

p.s.  I know I will wish I never uttered these words, but I really want to do some wall balls.  I hope Kelly comes up in rotation soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment