Sunday, September 9, 2012

In My Mouth...



So, as you know, we begin the Whole Life Challenge on Saturday.  This competition is basically a Paleo challenge sans a few rules (read the full breakdown below).  Since we started the blog, Christie and I have both been getting warmed up on the eating plan.  This warmup has included about a 75% effort into Paleo cuisine.  

Last week I was standing in my kitchen, during a particularly self-righteous moment, and told my husband that my goal was to be truly accountable to everything I was eating.    I went on to say that I wanted to be conscious that everything going into my mouth would be Paleo.   My loving husband looked at me and said, “Sounds great – as long as my wiener is considered Paleo”.  God bless him.  Thus, the inspiration for this post.  : )

Back to the present:  My grocery shopping experience was well fought yesterday.  My oldest daughter and I stayed on the perimeter of Safeway (Did this help my bill total?  No – damn raping cut throat bastards) and stocked up on vegetables, fruit, and meat.  Now mind you, I have two children under five (those bastards seem to survive on gold fish crackers and cheerios) so we had to hit the middle section for a few key essentials.  

Side bar:  For those parents of young children – are you completely mortified when you take your car seats out of the back of your car?  It never fails that the car seats only come out when people are standing around me and waiting to get into the back seat.  Once the seats are removed and thrown into the back cargo area, you find yourself glaring at a graveyard of gold fish, raisons, cheerios, and the random stray fruit snack.  OMG – its hideously awful.  Bastards.

Okay, back to shopping...

 So, we left Safeway, gouged, but happy  - and began the food preparation for the week. For dinner last night I made fabulous baked chicken, steamed vegetables, and garlic sweet potato mash.  Fabulous – and Paleo!

For the week, I plan on making the lovely egg cupcake frittatas for breakfasts, pork and chicken salads for lunches, and protein shakes (mostly for dinner).  On our slow nights, where we actually cook, we’ll grill up some fish with greens and fruit.  For snacks, I’ve made some raison almond trail mix, cut veggies, and fresh fruit (berries and tangelos).  Although I like interesting recipe ideas, I’m totally content being a ground hog.  I can eat the same thing every day.  Which is why this blog is so important – we don’t want to get stuck in a rut.

I’ve decided that the hardest thing for me to give up will be my morning dose of greek yogurt.  I plan on eating my Fage up to the very end.  Second on this list of sadness will be booze.  I like to drink – damn you WLC and the “no sugar” rule.

Well, that’s it for now kids.  More soon – and keep putting good things in your mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment