Monday, October 29, 2012

Absolute Pride


So, it is about 9:15 at night, and I am gushing with pride.  The Giants won the World Series (again) last night, the Patriots kicked the Rams' ass last night, and my (almost) 5 year old just read me a book.

Every week, my daughter's kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Stein, writes a little report for Jenoma. This report comes to us each week in Jenoma's "homework folder".  The student's get assessed for their ability to follow directions, their life skills, and their learning.  Jenoma has continually received "O" for Outstanding in all categories.  This week, Mrs. Stein wrote that "Jenoma continues to excel in her reading - she knocks my socks off".  Note, Jenoma is the youngest kindergartner in her class.  She isn't even five yet, and she can sound out words and read small books. 

Pride is a crazy thing.  My definition, it means "pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging to oneself".  Do the Giants or Pats belong to me?  Obviously, the answer is no... however, my gorgeous blond child does belong to me... and I take great satisfaction in her growth and achievements.

Transition to me and this challenge.  My sense of pride that is spilling out of me also has a sliver of happiness for what I've done.  I am currently in week 8 of this challenge, and I've truly survived.  Yes, I've had zero point days - in fact, I haven't scored more than one point in DIET since Tuesday; however, I have thought about each of my actions, and I've pushed myself to do well.  All of last week, I was at a conference being tempted by rich foods.  For breakfast, I went with eggs, bacon, and fruit - and avoided the amazing scones and cinnamon rolls altogether.  This was huge for me.  In the past, I would have had one of each! 

I am pleased with (aka: proud) what the challenge has forced me to think about, just as I am pleased that my daughter has grown into such an amazing little person.

Perhaps this is simply what I was supposed to gain from the challenge: pride in accomplishments.

(P.S.: A google image search for "pride" brought up some fascinating options... dirty!  Therefore I went with an image for reading...)

No comments:

Post a Comment