Thursday, October 4, 2012

Cookies (just pretend)



(I know, I know... I need to work on my "food styling" photos.  As my sister said - 
everything I make likes like throw up.  Appetizing?)

First, let's give credit where credit is due.  Kudos to Civilizedcavemancooking.com for a fabulous recipe.  These "cookies" are delicious.  They remind me of a Cliff Bar (without all of the bad crap in them).  The hubby even approved:)


Ingredients:

1 Cup Chopped Red Apples, skin on
1 Banana
1 Cup Raw Almonds
1 Cup Macadamia Nuts (I threw in some hazelnuts too)
1 Cup Shredded Coconut Unsweetened
2 Tbsp Cinnamon
2 Tsp Vanilla
2 Tsp Coconut Oil (melted)
3 Eggs

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Place your almonds and macadamia nuts in your food processor and pulse until finely chopped.  Or if you are feeling especially strong - use a knife and cutting board.  Place chopped nuts into a mixing bowl.  Follow the same with your apple and banana.  (I only used 1/2 of a small banana.  At first I didn't even want to put one in, but the creamy texture definitely helps as an adhesive.)  Add coconut, cinnamon, vanilla, coconut oil, and eggs and mix well using a hand mixer or your muscles.

Form golf-ball sized scoops with your hands (super gross, but way easier) on a  parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Flatten into a "cookie" shape and bake for 15-20 minutes.  Bottoms should be lightly browned.  In my awesome (now overworked) oven, 16 minutes was perfect.  They were firm yet still nice and chewy. 

Let's see if they pass the CF714 Trainer taste test....

No comments:

Post a Comment